After the flood has damaged the insides of your house, the cleaning process can be a difficult to perform all by yourself. Especially when the damage is done in the ducts of the heater and air conditioner, has interfered with the sewage system, other utilities and the foundation of the house, you may need help from some of the emergency cleaning Montreal has to offer. The clean up process can ironically be very messy, so here are some tips and tricks that you can use in flood cleaning.
1. Begin by basement flood clean up:
You need to start by drying up as much water as possible with the help of a suction pump. If the water level is higher than your physical capacity you can contact emergency cleaning services in Montreal. Also, you can turn up the heating system if it is still working, to make the drying process faster. Once you are done with the basement flood clean up you can move to the other rooms in the house to continue with the same procedure.
2. Get rid of the residual mud:
After all the water has dried up it leaves behind a muddy residue, which you can remove with some shovelling. There will be a point when you cannot pick the mud up with the help of your shovel, so using clean water to wash away the mud from all the solid surfaces is a good idea.
3. Use disinfectants to clean the premises:
Now all you need to do is take a bottle filled with hot water and add 2 tablespoons of chlorinated bleach to it and spray it in every place that the flood water might have touched.
4. Cleaning of the kitchen:
Make a solution of the disinfectant and immerse all kitchen items made of porcelain, glass, plastic, or enamel in the solution and let them soak for 10 minutes. Do not use the towels to dry up the utensils rather let them air-dry. Remember that utensils made up of silver or any other metal should not be cleaned with chlorinated bleach, rather use boiling water to get rid of the germs. Also, do not forget to clean the cupboards before restocking the shelves.
5. Remove all the furniture from every room:
After the water has dried up and you have removed the mud from your house, you need to take all the furniture and rugs out in the air to dry them up too. If an object is beyond repair or cannot be cleaned you need to get rid of that stuff immediately. Throw away the soaked up mattresses; for cleaning of upholstered furniture you can get help from the professionals that flood cleaning in Montreal companies recommend.
6. Cleaning of the ceiling and the walls:
Remove the wallboards soaked with contaminated flood water to prevent any serious health hazards. The panelling and plaster can be saved but the air ventilation must be taken care of to dry out the studs and sills. For the items that require professionals to deal with, contact emergency cleaning services to get some help.
7. Managing the Electrical Appliances:
Immediately after you are done with the cleaning process, you can contact an electrician to get all the appliances checked. Make sure the wirings are completely dried out, especially those behind walls to prevent yourself from getting electrocuted. Ask your handyman to check the heating and cooling systems properly, if the insulations are soaked with flood water, replace them without giving it a second thought. The electrical appliances will get odors, stains and silt deposits on them which are needed to be cleaned. If you run them before the cleaning process has been completed the equipment might be damaged.
8. For stripping and waxing floors:
The floor covered with any carpet should be removed if the sub-flooring is made up of wood. The water soaked in the wooden floors needs to be dried up completely. This process will need time, if you try to dry up the floors made up of wood, they will start to crack up or split, damaging the entire household structure. Contact some of the professionals for stripping and waxing floors Montreal accommodates. The licensed water damage treating experts can speed-up the drying process of these floors by applying air pressure through the underside of the wooden floorboards.
9. Check for roof damage and leaks:
Check for the wet spots in the chimney and wall on the outer side. Also, accumulated water on the roof can be a source of leakage. You can contact the local disaster cleanup professionals to help you repair damaged rooftops.
10. Repair the private sewage system:
Flooding in a private sewage system can cause serious health issues such as the drinking water being contaminated and the sanitation may be compromised. Contact qualified services for disaster cleanup in Montreal for treatment of the sewage water systems damaged by the heavy flooding.
Some of the Dos and Don’ts of the flood water damage clean up:
- Beware of the insects, snakes, or rodents that might have entered your home along with the flood water.
- Smell for the gas leakage, lookout for damaged power systems, any cracks in the foundation, and exterior damage.
- Check if the running water supply is still safe for drinking or not.
- Check the toilets for any clogs from debris or mud.
- Patch the holes in the wall and cover the roofs with plastic temporarily before beginning the repairing process.
- Remove all the water that is trapped in the walls and furniture out of the house.
- Open the doors and windows for improved air ventilation which will contribute in the drying up process.
- Before starting the cleaning process protect yourself with proper clothing, use boots and a pair of rubber gloves too.
- Remove all the wallcoverings.
- Throw away exposed food, beverages, and medicines too.
- The hard surfaces should be cleaned with hot water combined with soap or detergent.
- Do not enter your house if there are any major structural damage caused by the flood.
- Avoid walking on wilting floors or stand under any drooping ceilings.
- You should not switch any of the electrical appliances on.
- The basement of the house should not be cleaned very rapidly, rather get help from some professionals to restore them back to normal.
- For cleaning the water or mud do not use the household vacuum cleaner.
- The garbage should not pile up, keep cleaning it regularly to prevent contamination.
- Leaving pools of stagnant water will provide breeding grounds for the mosquitoes.
Cleaning up the mess left behind just after your house has been struck with a disaster can be very difficult. Some tasks may require professional assistance. Also, hiring a licensed someone can save you time and using advanced machinery can speed up the cleanup process too. You can contact the professionals at KBS to perform your task by taking proper safety measures.